“On the coldest nights, we try to get as many people indoors as possible,” says Don Evans, executive director of Our Place. “But, unfortunately, there are still people left outside. This walk allows the community to come together and show how much they care about the most vulnerable members of society.”
The WALK is held on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and provides each participant with the opportunity to:
- Walk 2, 5, or 10km
- Fundraise for Our Place
- Feel a hint of the challenge faced by those experiencing homelessness during winter.
— STORY CONTINUES AFTER THIS AD —
“We’ve made participation really simple,” says Lori Angelini, director of development at Our Place. “People gather a team of friends together and register online.”
“Despite the cold, it’s going to be a fun evening for a stroll,” Angelini says. “We will have toques available, plus hot chocolate, and a warm meal after the walk.”
While the family-friendly walk will raise much-needed funds for Our Place, it also offers people an opportunity to meet and connect with the homeless community they’ve come to support.
Our Place Quick Facts
- Our Place is a unique inner-city community centre serving Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable: working poor, impoverished elderly, mentally and physically challenged, addicted and the homeless.
- Individuals and businesses provide the majority of financial support for its programs and services.
- Provides over 1,800 meals per day, hot showers, education, job skills, free clothing, counseling and outreach services
- Plus, 135 transitional housing units and 60 overnight shelter mats.
For more information, visit: www.ourplacesociety.com.